Spice Tutorial - Salt


So many salts, so little time! Doctors say that on average, we should consume no more than 2300 mg per day or about 1 1/4 TSP. According to the American Heart Association, 75% of our salt intake comes from processed and prepared foods! So cooking more at home from scratch is better for you.


The range of choices for your most popular seasoning has expanded greatly. Growing up, we only had Morton's salt! Now, when I go to the local grocery store, there is a huge variety! I will discuss the five most commonly found products.


1.) Table - this is the old stand-by, a bit boring and very salty. This version is mainly mined from underground salt deposits and it is heavily processed to remove any impurities or minerals.


2.) Sea - This type is harvested from the evaporation of ocean water or saltwater lakes. It is processed less and maintains some of the unique flavors of the area in which it was harvested. Maldon's from Great Britain is a popular brand.


3.) Kosher - Technically most "kosher" salts are not in fact Kosher. The term is used to describe the large-grained crystals that are normally used in the process of creating kosher meats. I typically use this salt over table salt most of the time. The flavor is better since there is no added iodine. With our rich and modern diets, adding iodine is no longer necessary! You get iodine naturally through eating eggs, fish, shrimp and seaweed. (Like the nori used in sushi wraps)


4.) Fleur de Sel - I was introduced to this lovely item while living in France. Originating from the northwest region of France, Brittany, it is harvested from saltwater ponds. It is lower in sodium that table and Kosher salts and higher in minerals. Since it tends to taste less salty, I recommend using it as a finishing salt on top of meat, chicken, and pork. It is also perfect atop a fresh green salad.


5.) Himalayan Pink - Many people think this type of salt is better for you. In reality, it has the same amount of sodium chloride as table salt, 98%! So the other 2% is for additional minerals. The only advantage to using Himalayan salt is that it is less processed than table salt without any additives.

0 views
  • Grey Facebook Icon
  • Grey Pinterest Icon
  • Grey Instagram Icon

2012 Cooking Thyme with Stacie LLC

10136 Red Spruce Road, Fairfax, VA |  cookingthymewithstacie@gmail.com  |  Tel. 703-789-1301